09100, Kyiv Region, Bila Tserkva Phone (263) 4-0545
The station was organized in 1949 to study the ecology and selection of fish, important for the pond fishery of the Ukrainian SSR.
At the beginning of the existence of the hydrobiological station, scientific research was devoted to the creation of new breeds of carp and methods for their artificial reproduction. In the years 1953-1956, Far Eastern herbivorous fishes (Grass Carp, Bighead Carp, Silver Carp ) from the Amur River (the territory of the USSR and China) were introduced in fish ponds. During this period, experimental studies concerned the development of biotechnology for their artificial reproduction and cultivation, which were successfully completed.
From the mid-80s of the last century, selection work with herbivorous fish was carried out. For this purpose, the Krasnodar line of Bighead and Silver Carps and the Moldavian line of Grass Carp were imported. Descendants of these species of fish exist at the station until now. On the basis of carried out research, a high-yielding hybrid of the Silver Carp has been created, which is characterized by high fertility and rapid growth rate.
Today, the Institute of Hydrobiology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine at the Bila Tserkva experimental hydrobiological station uses 23 fish ponds, 4 boxes for fish retention, 2 laboratory buildings, 2 incubatories for scientific work.
It is used for the preparation and preliminary sample analysis of expeditionary materials obtained on the Kyiv Reservoir and its tributaries - Pripyat River, Teterev River, the Upper Dnieper and other water objects of Polissya Region. The station has a special room for burning of biological materials for the subsequent determination in them of chemical, toxic, radioactive and other elements and substances.